Denis Shamo is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Dallas. His practice focuses on trademark and Internet matters, including trademark and trade dress counseling, risk assessment, clearance, and prosecution. It also covers trademark enforcement, both traditional and as it relates to domain names, the Internet, and social media.
Mr. Shamo currently serves on the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA), and leads a working group within the Committee’s Social Media and Mobile Applications Subcommittee. He recently completed a four-year term on INTA’s Emerging Issues Committee, where he also held a leadership position.
Mr. Shamo advises clients with respect to trademark and trade dress issues, including brand development, risk management, proper use of trademarks, and assessment of risks in use and/or registration. He also aids his colleagues in global management of US and international trademark portfolios.
Mr. Shamo handles the filing and prosecution of trademark applications, the maintenance of trademark registrations in the US Patent and Trademark Office, and liaises with foreign colleagues and local counsel on portfolio management matters abroad.
He also counsels clients with respect to trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition, counterfeiting, and domain name enforcement matters, analyses instances of potential trademark infringement, and advises regarding the likelihood of success in possible counter-infringement actions or oppositions.
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D. summa cum laude) (2009)
- Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (CHMM Certification (Master-level)) (2004)
- Brandeis University (B.A. Physics) (1997)
- Texas~United States (2016)
- Michigan~United States (2010)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Performs worldwide trademark searches and renders risk assessment and availability opinions for a leading multinational corporation that specializes in Internet-related products and services.
- Conducted trademark and trade dress availability searches, rendered risk assessment and availability opinions on behalf of a major US and international retailer.
- Counseled an internationally-known apparel manufacturer regarding FTC rules relating to the use of customer testimonials and endorsements in advertising as well as copyright issues in connection with a nationwide advertising campaign.
- Successfully overcame refusals to register trademarks based on descriptiveness and/or the likelihood of confusion on behalf of multiple clients.
Rate : $$$