Dennis L. Cohen has more than 35 years of experience advising clients on a broad range of federal, state, and local income tax matters, with an emphasis on the tax-wise structuring of commercial transactions, planning to minimize the tax burdens of businesses and individuals, and handling tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities.
Dennis has a particular focus on advising clients on all aspects of the life cycle of businesses, and has advised clients spanning from startups and emerging businesses to large corporations. He has worked with clients from a wide variety of industries on issues relating to formation, capital structure, and capital raising, equity-based compensation techniques for founders and key executives, joint ventures, and exit strategies such as mergers, acquisitions, sales, and IPOs.
He also maintains a robust exempt organization practice. In addition to his mergers and acquisitions practice, Dennis has achieved noteworthy success on behalf of his clients in a number of important controversy matters.
His work in this area has involved securing abatement in tax fraud matters, negotiating settlements of difficult collection issues on behalf of companies, and handling appeals of major, substantive tax disputes with the IRS Appeals Office. He has represented numerous individuals in resolving issues concerning undisclosed offshore accounts.
He frequently speaks and writes on federal income tax law issues and developments, and has served as a source in leading business publications, including The Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Legal Intelligencer. He has appeared as a commentator on tax issues on local television and radio news shows, including National Public Radio and Comcast Newsmakers.
Dennis authors the popular “Annual Year-End Tax Update” which offers a detailed, but irreverent, look at select important or humorous tax developments. He served as an adjunct professor of taxation in the graduate program at Philadelphia University from 1993-2000, as well as a member of the Council of the Tax Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Dennis attended the University of Pennsylvania where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree and received his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
- Counseled a large, multi-state nursing home on tax matters from the business’ inception through its sale.
- Represented La Colombe Torrefaction, INC., a nationwide coffee roasting company with both wholesale and retail operations, in a recapitalization and $28 million sale of a majority interest to Goode Partners, and then in a subsequent recapitalization and investment by a third-party investor.
- Represented an influencer marketing company in connection with its acquisition by a leading intelligent commerce intermediary. This multi-faceted transaction drew on the experience of the firm’s corporate, tax, antitrust, employment, benefits, and intellectual property attorneys.
- Represented Harry R. Hirshorn & Co. (d/b/a Hirshorn Boothby), a full-service insurance agency headquartered in Philadelphia, in its sale to Bryn Mawr Trust.
- Represented Universal Hospital Services, Inc. in its acquisition of Radiographic Equipment Services, Inc., a leader in medical imaging solutions.
- Represented Spell Capital Partners, LLC in its acquisition of Viking Engineering & Development, Inc., a manufacturer of automated wood pallet and bedding manufacturer equipment. The transaction drew on the experience of the firm’s corporate, employee benefits, tax, real estate, intellectual property, and environmental attorneys.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1972
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1969
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Rate : $$$