Dennis S. Schmelzer focuses his practice on antitrust and regulatory matters. Mr. Schmelzer represents clients in all phases of merger and regulatory reviews conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), and foreign competition authorities.
Mr. Schmelzer also has considerable experience with criminal and civil investigations and litigation. Mr. Schmelzer’s experience spans a wide range of industries, including aviation, electronics, energy, food products, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals.
Based on this experience, Mr. Schmelzer has been listed as a Rising Star for Antitrust Litigation in Washington, DC by Super Lawyers Magazine (a Thomson Reuters publication) since 2015. Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Schmelzer served as an associate at two other international law firms.
- Columbia University, B.A., 2006, cum laude
- Duke University School of Law, J.D. and LL.M., 2009, Chief Executive Editor for the Duke Law & Technology Review and Lead Editor for the Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law
- American Bar Association Forum on Air and Space Law
- Merger Reviews & Regulatory Proceedings
- Advised a leading U.S. airline in regulatory proceedings before DOT and foreign competition authorities in connection with applications for antitrust immunity for joint business agreements with international partners.
- Advised C&J Energy Services on its US$2.86 billion combination with Nabors’ completion and production businesses in a transaction that created a leading diversified provider of completion and production services.
- Secured FTC clearance for a leading midstream services provider’s sale of a refined products pipeline system to a national competitor.
- Government Investigations & Litigation
- Represented a leading U.S. airline in connection with government investigations into alleged anticompetitive conduct.
- Represented Hitachi Ltd. in connection with consumer class actions alleging an international cartel concerning optical disk drives.
- Represented a Japanese electronics manufacturer and its U.S. subsidiary in connection with consumer class actions alleging anticompetitive conduct related to lithium ion batteries.
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical trade association as amicus curiae in Actelion Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. v. Apotex, Inc.
Rate : $$$