Derek J. Baker is a member of the Financial Industry Group, resident in the Philadelphia and Princeton offices, practicing in the area of Commercial Restructuring & Bankruptcy. Derek represents major constituencies (including institutional lenders, secured creditors, creditor committees, landlords, equipment lessors and indenture trustees) in workouts, restructurings, foreclosures and bankruptcies throughout the country.
Derek has substantial first chair trial experience in state and federal courts (including bankruptcy courts) addressing varying issues ranging from enforcement of creditor remedies to contested confirmation hearings on plans of reorganization.
Derek’s experience also includes the transfer and sale of distressed loan and portfolios and other “non-traditional” exit strategies. Derek has substantial experience in documenting front-end and forbearance credit transactions, as well as negotiating out-of court liquidations and counseling creditors on the exercise of state court remedies, including issues relating to Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- University of Dayton School of Law, 1998, J.D., Member of the University of Dayton Law Review
- Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, 1995, B.A., University Honors, summa cum laude
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court – District of New Jersey
- All State Courts – Pennsylvania
Professional Affiliations :
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference – Steering Committee, 2006-2010 and Chair 2009-2010
- Leadership Philadelphia LLC – Core Class 2009
- Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation – Board of Directors, 2010 – present and President, 2014 – present
Rate : $$$