Derek A. Roach’s practice focuses on information technology law, concentrating in technology transactions and outsourcings. He has extensive experience representing clients in large-scale technology and telecommunications projects, including multimillion-dollar technology licensing, procurement, development, and integration projects.
His representative transactions include ERP system integrations, multinational software and information content licensing, and public safety systems development and support. In addition, he counsels on Internet and e-commerce initiatives, software development and open-source issues, and confidentiality and intellectual property considerations.
Derek’s outsourcing experience includes traditional and business process outsourcings, both onshore and offshore. He has represented private- and public-sector clients in their outsourcing initiatives, including state governments, foreign and domestic telecommunications providers and companies in the publishing, transportation and energy sectors.
Representative transactions include call center outsourcings, whole-enterprise IT outsourcings, software applications support and development outsourcings, and outsourcings of back-office systems.
He also counsels technology-related start-up companies through their entire life cycle, from initial formation and entity selection through successful exit strategies, including IPOs and mergers and acquisitions.
He represents individuals and companies obtaining (or providing) angel, seed-stage, and venture capital financing, and counsels on, among other things, equity compensation, non-compete issues, and other considerations for entrepreneurs.
- Representation of an energy company in the negotiation of an enterprise wide procurement and implementation of a $100+ million ERP system.
- Representation of a professional information and publishing company in the outsourcing of its back-office application support and maintenance services in a $100+ million transaction.
- Representation of an international telecommunications provider in connection with its outsourcing of infrastructure support in a $600+ million transaction.
- Representation of a domestic telecommunications company in a business process outsourcing of customer billing operations in a $90+ million transaction.
- Representation of a publishing company in connection with a global enterprise software licensing transaction for $40+million.
- Representation of a U.S. state government in the outsourcing of its entire IT infrastructure and support.
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD, 1999
- Illinois Wesleyan University, BA, magna cum laude, 1996
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, International Technology Law Association
- Member, Federalist Society
Rate : $$$$