Dietmar W. Prager is a litigation partner in the firm’s New York office who focuses his practice on international arbitration and litigation with a particular emphasis on Latin America. He is Co-Chair of the firm’s Latin America Practice Group. Dr. Prager has represented parties in numerous arbitrations throughout the world under the auspices of the ICC, ICSID, LCIA, AAA, ICDR and the PCA as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings.
He was also one of the youngest lawyers ever to argue before the International Court of Justice. Dr. Prager’s recent representations include disputes involving complex construction projects, investment treaties, energy and mining projects, oil & gas projects, the retail sector, the finance sector, sovereign debt, and distribution agreements. Dr. Prager also regularly sits as arbitrator.
Dr. Prager is ranked among the leading international arbitration practitioners by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Chambers Latin America, The Legal 500 Latin America, Benchmark Litigation and Who’s Who Legal, which names him as a Thought Leader. He has been described as “outstanding” and an “excellent lawyer with a good Latin America focus” who “comes with a practical approach.” The publications have highlighted his “impressive work and responsiveness to clients’ needs,” his “great depth of analysis” and his “vast linguistic ability” and observed that “clients speak highly of his qualities, saying ‘He’s dynamic, intelligent, accessible and knowledgeable.’”
Dr. Prager is a vice-chair and member of the Executive Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA) and served as the first chair of ITA’s Americas Initiative. Dr. Prager is a member of the Comitê Brasileiro de Arbitragem (CBAr), the Asociación Latinoamericana de Arbitraje (ALArb), the IBA, the Club Español de Arbitraje and the American Society of International Law. He is also a member of the list of arbitrators of the Vienna International Arbitration Centre and of the Centro de Arbitraje of the Lima Chamber of Commerce.
Dr. Prager is co-editor-in-chief of the World Arbitration and Mediation Review. He is the author of several articles and blogs on international arbitration, international courts and tribunals, international procedural law, as well as Latin-American integration, and speaks regularly at international arbitration conferences.
Dr. Prager’s recent representations include:
- A South American construction company in an ICC arbitration against a major oil & gas company arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of an FPSO.
- A South American Shipyard in an ICC arbitration against a major oil & gas company arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of the lower hull of a semi-submersible platform.
- A power company in a construction dispute with an Asian contractor arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of a power plant in a South American State.
- A power company in a construction dispute with an international consortium arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of a hydroelectric plant in a South American State.
- A major U.S. construction company in an ICC arbitration in a dispute arising out of a subcontract regarding the construction of a fertilizer plant.
- A joint venture between Antofagasta Minerals and Barrick Gold Corporation, in an ICSID arbitration against the Government of Pakistan and an ICC arbitration against the Government of Balochistan in disputes regarding a copper and gold mining project.
- The founder of a leading Brazilian retail company in three ICC arbitrations seated in São Paulo against a European joint venture partner regarding control of the company.
- A major UK Investment fund in an ICC arbitration seated in São Paulo regarding an investment in a restructured Brazilian consumer products business. The representation also included coordination of litigation proceedings in Brazil, Bermuda and Uruguay.
- The Swiss manufacturer Holcim in an ICSID proceeding against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela under a bilateral investment treaty for the expropriation of its Venezuelan subsidiary, in which Holcim recovered some US$650 million.
- Pueblo Viejo Dominicana Corporation (jointly owned by Barrick Gold and Goldcorp) in a dispute with the Government of the Dominican Republic regarding the Pueblo Viejo mine, the largest foreign investment in the Dominican Republic.
- A major international mining company with regard to a dispute regarding royalty payments with a South American Government.
- Autopista Concesionada de Venezuela in an ICSID arbitration against Venezuela arising out of a concession for the maintenance of the LaGuaira-Caracas highway and the construction of a highway bridge.
- A major international mining company in connection with proceedings and inquiries before international bodies such as the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the ILO.
Dr. Prager is a member of the bar of New York. Prior to joining Debevoise in September 2000, Dr. Prager served as Legal Officer at the Registry of the International Court of Justice. He received his LL.M. from New York University School of Law, his Dr. iur. from University of Innsbruck and his Austrian law degree from University of Vienna.
- New York University School of Law, 1997, LL.M.
- Universität Innsbruck, 1997, S.J.D.
- University of Vienna, 1995, J.D.
- New York
Rate : $$$