Dina R. Richman is a seasoned insurance coverage attorney helping insurers navigate complex claims and bad faith litigation. Dina represents insurance companies in all types of commercial and personal lines insurance policies in both first and third party disputes, and also has extensive experience in other types of litigation.
First-party insurance: Dina defends insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation related to first-party property, auto, and disability claims. Dina has successfully tried cases through verdict (and appeal), as well as obtained summary judgment and favorable settlements for her clients. Dina also frequently provides coverage advice to clients to effectively avoid litigation. Representative cases include:
- Summary judgment in dispute involving business income coverage in commercial property policy
- Trial victory in case involving a residential subsidence claim
- Successful appraisal proceeding involving multiple water damage claims; affirmed on appeal
- Summary judgment in property loss case involving dispute over whether the damage was “sudden and accidental”
Third-party insurance: Dina defends insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation related to third party coverage, including personal liability, general liability, E&O, D&O, and EPL. Dina also frequently provides coverage advice on third party claims, and remains involved while the underlying litigation is pending to advise regarding any continuing coverage issues. Representative cases include:
- Summary judgment in multi-million dollar dispute regarding coverage for sexual abuse cases
- Summary judgment in dispute regarding liability for encroachment and trespass
- Voluntary dismissal of liability insurer from direct action by third party
Other types of litigation: Dina represents health insurers, medical groups, and IPAs in managed care disputes (including ERISA). Dina also represents clients in many different industries in various types of commercial disputes, including employment, personal injury/premises liability, and real estate litigation.
Dina is a member of the American Bar Association and the Los Angeles County Bar Association. She serves on the board of directors of the Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center, a nonprofit organization that provides services to thousands of children and adults with developmental disabilities in the greater Los Angeles area.
Dina also serves on the Leadership Council of Public Counsel, the nation’s largest pro bono law firm. Dina previously served on the Associates Board of the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles.
Dina is also the pro bono coordinator for the Los Angeles office, and frequently provides pro bono services related to guardianship, immigration, LGBT rights, and Holocaust reparations.
Dina earned her J.D. from the UCLA School of Law. She was business manager of the Journal of Sexual Orientation Law, and secretary/treasurer of the Animal Law Society. She also volunteered for the El Centro Legal Clinic Homeless Prevention Project and participated in moot court.
While in law school, she served as a judicial extern for Justice Miriam Vogel of the California Court of Appeal. Dina earned her B.A., magna cum laude, from Pomona College. Dina is admitted to practice in California, including the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern District Courts, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Pomona College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2004
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$