Donald W. Brown’s trial, arbitration, and appellate practice focuses on representing policyholders in complex insurance coverage disputes. Mr. Brown has served as lead counsel in lawsuits involving substantial claims under directors and officers insurance policies; financial, media, software, and other errors and omissions policies (including coverage for false advertising and unfair business practices claims); general liability policies (including coverage for mass tort and environmental liabilities); construction policies; fidelity and other financial guaranty policies; and first-party property damage policies (including major damage and business interruption losses resulting from hurricane, tornado and other catastrophic events).
Mr. Brown was the lead trial lawyer for ExxonMobil in its lawsuit against more than 100 insurers over more than $2 billion of coverage for environmental cleanup liabilities associated with some 5,000 sites.
He also was the lead lawyer for Fibreboard in the trial of key phases of the landmark California Asbestos Insurance Coverage Cases, which led to insurance recoveries in excess of $2 billion. Mr. Brown also serves as the Managing Partner of the San Francisco office.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1978
- Ohio University, A.B., 1975
Bar Admissions : California
Representative Matters :
- Representing ExxonMobil in New York lawsuit over coverage for asbestos-related liabilities.
- Representing Vulcan Materials in Los Angeles lawsuit over coverage for environmental liabilities.
- Representing InterMune in arbitration over D&O coverage for defense costs incurred by former CEO.
- Representing a major New York financial institution with respect to its claim for business interruption losses arising out of superstorm Sandy.
- Served as party-appointed arbitrator in several complex insurance coverage disputes, including arbitrations over claims by Boeing, Dow Corning, and PG&E Corporation.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, Member
- California State Bar, Committee on Administration of Justice, Member
Rate : $$$