Concentrating on matters of federal securities laws, Donald W. Brodsky focuses his practice on representing public companies in the energy industry in their capital markets transactions, acquisitions and dispositions, while also counseling boards of directors and management on a wide range of corporate governance and securities compliance issues.
In the course of serving as long-term outside general counsel to multiple New York Stock Exchange-listed companies, he values providing pragmatic input based on knowing his clients’ businesses, concentrating on the most practical ways to shape legal solutions.
Don believes that careful thought, creativity and solid experience-based advice can greatly improve clients’ business flexibility.
- Led BakerHostetler team representing Denbury Resources Inc. in its $4.5 billion merger of Encore Acquisition Co. into Denbury, the second-largest exploration and production (E&P) deal in the U.S. in 2009, making Denbury one of the largest oil-focused independents in North America.
- Lead lawyer in more than 100 public offerings by clients of equity and debt, with 20 offerings in the past 10 years raising $5 billion, including $1.2 billion of a 4.625 percent senior subordinated debt offering in 2013, the lowest yield ever for comparable securities.
- Headed representation of an E&P MLP in $1 billion of property acquisitions through drop-downs from 2012 to 2013.
- Lead counsel for three public clients that owned the general partners of MLPs in both the midstream and E&P sectors, including providing advice on qualified income, structural, governance and conflict-of-interest issues.
- Served as outside general and securities counsel for Swift Energy Company for 33 years and for Denbury Resources Inc. for 18 years.
- Jewish Community Centers Association of North America, New York, New York (1998 to present), Executive Committee and Vice-Chair (2004 to 2014)
- Jewish Community Center of Houston (1983 to present)
- Received 2013 David H. White Memorial Award
- Honored with my wife Joanne at 2010 Children’s Scholarship Ball
- American Jewish Committee, Houston Chapter (1978 to present), President (1986 to 1988)
- Jewish Federation of Greater Houston (1989 to present)
- Vice President (2012 to 2014)
- Executive Committee (2000 to 2005)
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1973; Member, Texas Law Review
- B.A., Duke University, 1970, Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$