A member of Stoll Keenon Ogden since 1990, P. Douglas Barr serves as Managing Director and oversees operations for each of the firm’s five regional offices. He is responsible for driving the firm forward on its journey of achieving legal wins for clients in the Midwest, across the country and around the world.
Doug believes that growth at Stoll Keenon Ogden is best accomplished by hiring the right talent and ensuring each member has full opportunity to take the reins with respect to their practices.
He draws on his extensive experience as a litigator and strategist to challenge members to lead the planning for clients, while staying ahead of constantly evolving needs. Even as he guides the direction of the firm, Doug remains committed to serving clients in two of the firm’s most active practice groups:
Business Litigation: Doug has served as the lead trial counsel in numerous complex, high-stakes, “bet-the-company” cases involving business transactions and employment contracts. Doug successfully defended clients in several major employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) lawsuits brought about by the U.S. Department of Labor. He has also won a favorable verdict for a client in a nationwide class action under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Intellectual Property: Business clients rely on Doug’s counsel in navigating the challenging terrain of intellectual property protection and enforcement. His expertise in this area is wide-ranging, including patents and inventions, trade secrets and confidential information, domain names, trademarks and copyrights, and other business interests.
In a patent infringement and antitrust case involving major companies in the artificial turf industry, his client won a summary judgment dismissing the claims, as well as an award of attorney fees in excess of $4.5 million.
- Ohio State University 1983, J.D., with Honors
- University of Kentucky 1980, B.A., High Distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Arizona
- U.S. District Court for Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- United States Supreme Court
- Commerce Lexington, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Shriners Hospital for Children (Lexington), Corporate Council
- Meritas Law Firms Worldwide, board of directors, 2007-2010
- American Law Firm Association, 1999-2005; 2014-present
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Rate : $$$$