Douglas G. Brehm is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is the Chair of the Class Action and Mass Litigation Practice Group. Doug has extensive experience defending class action lawsuits in the insurance, employment and consumer arenas. Doug also coordinates the defense of mass individual lawsuits that are frequently brought against insurers in conjunction with, or in place of, class actions.
He’s currently lead counsel defending a major insurer in state-wide litigation that involves multiple class actions and over 23,000 individual lawsuits. Doug has developed particular expertise under Florida’s No-Fault Statute and has successfully litigated a number of statutory interpretation and policy issues through the appellate courts. He also counsels insurers to help them develop strong policy language and claims-handling procedures in order to avoid costly litigation.
Doug also has extensive experience representing management in all areas of employment law. Doug has defended discrimination claims, including age, disability, and gender discrimination, as well as sexual harassment, retaliation and whistle blower claims. He has also litigated numerous claims involving trade secrets and covenants not to compete.
Prior to joining the firm, Doug practiced with a national law firm, where he successfully represented a major airline in several collective action lawsuits brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act. While practicing in Tennessee, he also served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Tennessee Law School, where he taught pretrial procedure.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1993
- Duke University, M.A., Philosophy, 1993
- Oral Roberts University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1990
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$