Douglas G. Gray brings to his clients a broad range of experience in the practice of corporate law, concentrating in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, strategic alliances, and commercial ventures.
In addition, he enjoys an active collaborations practice, centered on negotiating licensing, joint venture and development agreements relating to intellectual property rights. He is a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors and the Co-Chair of the Firm’s Life Science Practice Group focusing on medical device, pharmaceutical and healthcare related companies and products.
Douglas’ work in acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and other transactions involves representation of individual investors, management teams, corporate buyers and sellers, venture capitalists and private equity firms.
This varied representation provides him with a unique understanding of the likely concerns of each party in a sophisticated transaction so that he is well-suited to assist clients in planning and implementing their strategies as well as crafting creative, but cost-effective, solutions to their concerns.
Douglas attended Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut and worked for a trade finance bank in Istanbul, Turkey following graduation from Yale. Douglas was also Executive Articles Editor for the Journal of Legislation at the University of Notre Dame School of Law.
Representative Experience :
- Represented Juvenescence Limited, a leading drug development company, focused on the development of therapies to increase human longevity
- In its purchase of 14.4 million shares of AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. for $43.2 million, from its affiliate, BioTime, Inc. (NYSE American: BTX). AgeX is focused on developing novel therapeutics for age-related degenerative disease
- In a $10 million equity financing of its latest joint venture project, FoxBio Inc. Juvenescence’s partner in the joint venture, Antoxerene Inc. (a portfolio company of Ichor Therapeutics, Inc.), is a small molecule developer, focused on targeting aging cells
- Acted as general outside counsel to a number of businesses and insurance companies ranging in size from a billion dollar annual revenue NYSE manufacturer to privately held companies, in matters varying from acquisitions and dispositions to joint ventures and collaborations
- Assisted a publicly-traded client by negotiating and drafting a complex strategic alliance with another publicly-traded company to jointly produce products by using each company’s underutilized assets
- Works closely with management on general corporate matters, including issues related to contracting, licensing, corporate governance and risk management
- Helped management teams and boards of directors with strategic planning, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and litigation management
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association, Business Organization Committee; Ethics and Professionalism Committee
- State Liaison, Corporate Laws Committee, American Bar Association
- J.D., University of Notre Dame Law School, 1993
- B.A., Yale University, 1988
Admissions : Rhode Island
Admitted To Practice : Federal District Court of Rhode Island
Rate : $$$