Douglas W. Greene leads BakerHostetler’s firmwide Securities and Governance Litigation Team. Doug is one of the most experienced and successful securities and governance litigators in the United States.
He defends and counsels clients in securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, shareholder challenges to mergers and acquisitions, SEC investigations, and internal investigations.
Doug has focused his practice exclusively on such cases since 1997 and is one of only a handful of full-time practitioners nationwide. He has handled more than 100 securities and corporate governance litigation matters, defending companies of every size and industry — from aerospace giant Boeing, to beverage manufacturer Jones Soda.
Securities and governance litigation can be frustrating — it accuses good people of doing bad things. Doug is devoted to helping clients through it as quickly and comfortably as possible. His defense emphasizes his clients’ honesty and good faith, defending the truth of what they said and their intent to do and say the right thing. He doesn’t rely on technicalities or gotchas.
Doug also works hard to shape securities law, so that executives can speak publicly and make business decisions without fear of unfair liability. He founded and wrote a pioneering securities and governance litigation blog.
He has published dozens of articles. He is a sought-after speaker. He authored U.S. Supreme Court amicus briefs in the Omnicare, Cyan and Quality Systems securities class actions. In Omnicare, Doug contributed to the groundbreaking Supreme Court decision that executives cannot be liable for voicing their honestly held opinions — a position he had long championed.
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Northwest Chapter:
- Advisory Board Member (2012 to present)
- Cyber Security Event, Co-Chair (2014)
- Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter: Board of Advisors (2008 to present)
- Washington State Bar Association: Securities Committee Member (2003 to present)
- D&O Liability Conference, American Conference Institute: Co-Chair (2014 to 2015)
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 1992, with high distinction; Iowa Law Review, Articles Editor; Order of the Coif
- B.A., St. Olaf College, 1988, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Re-Member, Board of Directors , Vice President, Member (2017 to present)
- Lake Washington Girls Middle School, Board of Trustees
- President (2016 to present)
- Vice President (2014 to 2016)
- University Child Development School: Member, Board Committee (2013 to present)
- King County Bar Foundation: Member, Board of Trustees (2001 to 2009)
Rate : $$$$