Clients turn to Douglas G. Haynam for his thorough and comprehensive understanding of the environmental landscape as it applies to compliance and enforcement matters. He has a broad range of experience in environmental and administrative law, including environmental compliance, litigation, consultation, and civil and criminal enforcement matters.
His unique experience in addressing the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and state hazardous and solid waste issues, as well as Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) cleanups gives him valuable perspective on regulatory complexities, including:
- Defense of enforcement initiatives
- Administrative orders and discovery
- Development of compliance strategies
- Natural resource damage claims
- Third-party practice
In addition to RCRA and CERCLA, Doug has extensive experience under, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Federial Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), and other environmental statutes and regulatory programs.
When serving in the capacity of lead counsel to large groups at a number of CERCLA sites, Doug has assembled multi-party joint initiatives to construct multi-million dollar remedial construction projects, created legal entities to oversee the long-term operation and maintenance of constructed remedial facilities, and led group cost recovery efforts. He has significant experience advising clients regarding:
- Environmental issues in business transactions
- real estate transactions
- Environmental audits
- Insurance claims related to environmental matters.
Doug has also been involved in a variety of permit proceedings, including an evidentiary permit proceeding for a hazardous waste management facility, where his clients have benefited from his extensive experience in challenging agency rulemaking actions.
He has covered a wide range of matters before state and federal agencies, such as licensing, permitting, enforcement and related investigation and inquiry, administrative rulemaking, as well as state and federal court litigation following administrative action. Additionally, he has served as a mediator.
Doug’s representative clients of public record have included companies in the automobile, glass, rubber, paper, steel, petrochemical, waste management, agriculture, commercial food, real estate, and utility industries, as well as nonprofit entities.
- J.D., with honors, Ohio State University, 1980
- B.S., cum laude, Miami University, 1977
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Ohio, 1980
- Michigan, 1981
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, past-Chair
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section
- American Bar Association, National Resources Law and Litigation Sections
- Erie Shores Council, Boy Scouts of America, Past President, Board Member, Executive Committee; Endowment Trustee
Rate : $$$