Douglas A. Henderson is a trial and appellate partner at Troutman Sanders with a national practice in environmental litigation, toxic and mass tort litigation, and property rights litigation.
Doug has tried numerous cases to verdict involving chemical exposure, groundwater contamination, personal injury, endangered species, and property rights cases. Doug also has litigated cases involving water rights, reservoirs, surface mining, pipelines, powerlines and storm water runoff.
As appellate counsel, Doug has successfully argued several leading environmental and property rights cases. As amicus counsel, Doug has represented the Edison Electric Institute, the National Mining Association, the American Farm Bureau Federation, and the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, to name a few.
In addition, Doug provides counseling on a wide range of matters involving RCRA, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, TSCA, and SMCRA. A Ph.D. scientist and attorney, Doug offers considerable experience in trying cases involving expert testimony on air quality, hydrology, and epidemiology.
Doug has been named “Lawyer of the Year” twice in Georgia, recently as “Environmental Lawyer of the Year” (2018) and earlier as “Litigation – Environmental Atlanta Lawyer of the Year”(2014).
In addition, Doug is regularly ranked as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the State of Georgia by Atlanta Magazine Superlawyers. Doug also is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in three separate categories (environmental litigation, environmental law, and mass torts), in Chambers USA, in the Legal 500, and the Georgia Trend Legal Elite.
Representative Matters :
- Lead counsel for several electric utilities defending first RCRA and SMCRA citizen suits filed by Sierra Club and others involving coal ash disposal.
- For electrical manufacturer, lead counsel in successful defense of class action involving claims of personal injury and property devaluation related to PCB and lead exposure in Anniston, Alabama.
- For major electric utility, lead defense counsel in administrative challenge to surface water withdrawal permit issued for two new nuclear power generating units by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division.
- Represented plaintiff real estate partnership in winning week-long jury trial involving property devaluation associated with percholoroethylene.
- Environmental counsel to U.S. subsidiary of Japanese electronic corporation on OSHA investigation involving employee exposure to lead dust in assembly operation.
- Lead counsel for numerous companies in show cause hearings before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on CERCLA and EPCRA.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, Judicial Procedure Committee, State Bar of Georgia, 1997 – 2006.
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia, Environmental Law Section, 1999 – 2000
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia, Agricultural Law Section, 2000 – 2005
- University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Michigan, Ph.D., 1990
- University of Michigan, M.S., 1990
- Georgia Institute of Technology, M.S., 1983
- George Washington University, B.A., 1981
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$