Douglas J. Janacek chairs the Real Property Department and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. His areas of concentration include real estate development, planning, permitting, and redevelopment matters with an emphasis on commercial, office, and industrial developments.
He has appeared before planning and zoning boards and governing bodies of numerous municipalities throughout the state, and also before the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT), and other state and county agencies, in connection with real estate development and redevelopment projects.
Mr. Janacek has also been involved in issues concerning a variety of regulatory requirements, including wetlands, coastal zone, stream encroachment, and waterfront development permits.
He was involved in the formulation and drafting of the New Jersey Highway Access Management Code, one of the most comprehensive highway access regulations in the United States. He routinely authors articles and appears in seminars and panel discussions involving all aspects of real estate development.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark (J.D.)
- Editor, Rutgers Law Review, 1984-1985
- Seton Hall University (B.A., summa cum laude)
PROFESSIONAL ADMISSIONS : State of New Jersey
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Past Director, Land Use Section
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey School of Architecture
- Advisory Board
- NAIOP, New Jersey Chapter – Third Party Appeals Committee
- Former Chairman
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Represents the developer of a major retail shopping center adjacent to the Hudson River waterfront in connection with all local, county, and state environmental and transportation approvals.
- Development counsel to a national REIT with regard to its acquisition of several million square feet of existing and proposed office and retail space in two municipalities.
- Represented a publicly traded international package delivery company with regard to its expansion of its distribution facilities at existing and new locations throughout the NY region.
- Counseled an international news agency with regard to the proposed conversion of an office facility into a telecommunications center with redundant security and power source requirements.
- Represented a state agency in connection with the drafting of regulations required to implement cutting-edge land use mechanisms as part of a “Special Area Management Plan.”
- Represented a large-scale shopping center developer in connection with Department of Transportation and related real estate issues concerning multiple “big box” development.
Rate : $$$