Douglas D. Salyers has over 30 years of trial and appellate experience specializing in patent litigation. He has tried numerous cases including patent cases and handled appeals before the Federal Circuit and Eleventh Circuit for clients across the country.
Doug also counsels clients on patent and other technology issues outside the court process and has successfully resolved intellectual property disputes using arbitration and mediation. Doug is the former head of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Representative Matters :
- Commissariat a l’Energie Atomique et aux Energies Alternatives v. Silicon Genesis Corporation – Lead Inter Partes Review counsel for Commissariat a l’Energie Atomique et aux Energies Alternatives in three IPRs related to silicon on insulator substrate manufacturing patents. Cases dismissed before trial.
- Nice Systems LTD and Nice Systems, Inc. v. Clickfox, Inc. – Lead counsel on behalf of Clickfox, Inc. accused of infringing patent for internet traffic monitoring. Court granted motion to dismiss based on Section 101 challenge. Currently on appeal.
- Tridia Corporation v. Stoneware, Inc., et al.– Lead counsel on behalf of Tridia Corporation in 18 cases asserting its patent for on demand remote control of a computer. Defeated motions to dismiss based on Section 101 challenge. All cases settled.
- Frontier Communications v. Google Inc. – Co-lead counsel on behalf of Google, accused of infringing a patent for an enhanced telephone services system in the District of Delaware. Case settled after Markman hearing.
- Novo Transforma v. SouthernLinc – Lead counsel on behalf of SouthernLinc, accused of infringing multimedia messaging service patent. Case settled.
- Hudson Surgical Design, Inc. v. Biomet Orthopedics, LLC – Lead trial counsel on behalf of Biomet, accused of infringing a patent for surgical method and apparatus for knee replacement in the Northern District of Indiana. Case stayed during inter partes reexamination.
- Eula B. Winfrey v. Kimberly-Clark Corporation – Lead counsel for defendant accused by pro se defendant of stealing her patented ideas. Successfully obtained dismissal of case on statute of limitations grounds prior to answer.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- American Bar Association (Litigation, Intellectual Property and Science and Technology Sections)
- Adjunct Professor, Emory Law School, Pretrial Litigation, 2001-2013
- Board Member, Japan-American Society of Georgia, 2006-2007
- Associate Envoy for New Zealand Olympic Team
- Chairman, Church Council, St. James United Methodist Church, 2002-2004
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1982, Articles and Notes Editor, American Criminal Law Review
- Wake Forest University, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa , 1979
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
Rate : $$$