Douglas L. Siegler is a tax attorney who represents high-net-worth individuals on tax and wealth planning matters. Doug focuses on wills, trust agreements, insurance, AND charitable giving programs. He oversees all aspects of estate planning, including estate administration tasks and multi generational wealth transfer strategies.
He develops innovative approaches to structuring income, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax planning. Doug also handles transfer tax planning for clients married to non-U.S. citizens, and to individuals living outside the United States.
- Reached a favorable settlement of an IRS gift tax audit regarding the proper valuation of several promissory notes, gifted by the taxpayer to her children and grandchildren. Also prevented the IRS from expanding the scope of the audit into an examination of the intrafamily sales of LLC interests that had given rise to the promissory notes
- Advised an owner of pre-initial public offering (IPO) stock, regarding estate planning options, ultimately creating two GRATs and an irrevocable trust for young children, and preparing a federal gift tax return disclosing the gifts
- Advised a foreign national on gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer tax opportunities, prior to immigration to the United States, including gifting opportunities, appropriate location of trust vehicle, and best assets to be used for funding of gifts
- Implemented post-mortem tax planning, including qualified disclaimers, and balancing the size of the taxable estates of a husband and wife, who died within a few days of each other, resulting in a substantial reduction in state estate tax liability and better utilization of decedents’ available generation-skipping transfer tax exemptions
- J.D. with honors Duke University School of Law
- B.A. cum laude Princeton University
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Past chair, Estate and Gift Taxes Committee, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Member and past director, District of Columbia Estate Planning Council
- Member, Duke University Estate Planning Council
- Former member, Governing Board, St. Albans School, Washington, DC
Rate : $$$