Douglas R. Tribble, a Pillsbury Litigation partner based in San Diego, is consistently recognized by Best Lawyers as one of the nation’s top commercial litigators. Douglas has extensive corporate investigation, commercial litigation and trial experience, particularly in matters involving federal and state antitrust, unfair competition and consumer protection laws.
He represents clients in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, retail, manufacturing and energy, and has significant experience defending class actions in multidistrict litigations.
Douglas has represented clients in investigations conducted by the U.S. Senate, Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, California Senate, state attorneys general and state regulatory agencies.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented clients in connection with grand jury subpoenas, various forms of Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) and other demands issued by federal and state government agencies and public utilities commissions.
- Defended an energy company in multiple antitrust class actions alleging that its trading practices resulted in unnecessarily inflated electricity prices. All cases were defeated, with no settlements or adverse judgments.
- Defended service provider in 50-million-member nationwide class action alleging insufficient disclosures and unlawful billing practices. Structured settlement, ridding client of virtually all pending class actions spanning a 10-year period.
- Defended internet provider against competitor’s antitrust action, including claims of tying and sales below cost. Summary judgement was granted and all claims were dismissed. Dismissal was upheld on appeal.
- Defended health care network in antitrust litigation filed by excluded medical professional. At the close of trial, the night before closing argument, Plaintiff asked to settle for nuisance value.
- Defended international telecommunications company against allegations that it wrongly charged long distance access fees that were not authorized by the customer.
- Defended publisher in a series of suits (including statewide class actions) alleging that unlisted information was published in a widely distributed telephone directory. These cases were settled on favorable terms.
- Defended client against allegations that its instructional program in information technology was not properly credentialed by the state. The case was settled at a fraction of the demand.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 1984
- B.A., California State University, Chico, 1979
ADMISSIONS : California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- All California federal courts
- All California state courts
Rate : $$$$