Douglas A. Vonderhaar is a consumer financial services lawyer with a litigation and regulatory practice. He assists compliance managers in the identification of regulatory and compliance issues relating to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau readiness for banks, lenders and specialty financers.
As part of the Financial Services Industry team, Doug routinely counsels clients regarding TILA, RESPA and other federal consumer statutes and regulations. He has also prepared compliance policies and guidelines for banks and nonbank lenders.
Additionally, he is a member of the BakerHostetler team serving as court-appointed counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS), an unprecedented recovery effort involving hundreds of actions.
In this role, he assists with investigating and litigating against hedge funds, investment banks and other financial institutions. During law school, Doug was a member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review and president of the Environmental Law Society.
- In the BLMIS liquidation, currently assisting with avoidance actions against financial institutions that invested in underlying BLMIS feeder funds, identifying evidence, drafting complaints and briefs, and conducting necessary legal research.
- Experience with various e-discovery issues, including creating discovery protocol, conducting document review, and assisting teams in preparing for hearings and arbitrations on document confidentiality.
- Counsels financial services companies, including mortgage lenders, banks, credit unions and loan servicers, concerning federal and state regulatory and compliance matters.
- Advises banks and financial service companies on National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA), electronic funds transfer and credit card processing issues.
- Conducts training and compliance counseling, including preparation of policies and procedures, for financial services companies relating to state and federal lending laws.
- Prepared and filed a personal property foreclosure on behalf of a federal credit union.
- Advised a federal credit union as to bylaw, annual meeting, liability, insurance and other National Credit Union Administration requirements.
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2011, University of Cincinnati Law Review, Executive Board Member (Business Manager)
- B.S., Biology, University of Dayton, 2008, magna cum laude
Admissions : U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Rate : $$$$