Douglass B. Maynard represents public companies, board committees, investment fund managers and individuals in a variety of regulatory and related business matters. He has conducted dozens of internal investigations, including many cross-border matters. Doug has significant experience in handling libel and other media law cases. He represents book publishers and various news outlets.
Doug rejoined the firm from the New York City Police Department (NYPD), where he served as Deputy Commissioner for Legal Matters. In that position, he served as the general counsel of the NYPD, advising Police Commissioners Raymond Kelly and William Bratton and the executive staff on all legal matters affecting the department, including criminal investigations and policy, intelligence matters, civil litigation, legislative affairs and press relations. His work involved close coordination of significant matters with City Hall, federal and state prosecutors, the New York City Law Department and other agencies.
He managed a command of more than 250 uniformed and civilian lawyers and staff.Doug served for six years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, where he investigated and prosecuted federal cases involving Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) violations, drug trafficking, bank fraud, money laundering, murder and other crimes. He specialized in Russian organized crime cases and was one of the first to use the RICO statute to prosecute Russian criminals whose criminal enterprises operated in the United States, Europe and Russia.
- Serves as the firm’s general counsel.
- Practice focuses on government and regulatory investigations and litigation, corporate investigations and complex civil matters.
- Conducted a series of investigations for the audit committee of a multinational public company based in Europe into allegations of insider trading, theft, accounting fraud, whistleblower retaliation and other misconduct.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a public company into alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations.
- Represented an educational institution in connection with a number of Title IX investigations and related matters.
- Represented a special committee of a public company in conducting an internal investigation of alleged misconduct and corporate culture issues.
- Advised the board of trustees of a university in connection with public allegations of serious misconduct by employees.
- Counseled an audit committee in connection with tax and accounting issues.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1986
- B.A., Yale University, cum laude, 1982
- New York
Rate : $$$