Dr. David M. Saravitz advises on general patent counseling, strategic planning, opinions concerning patentability, freedom to operate and infringement, IP-related due diligence in business transactions, patent licensing, and patent application drafting and prosecution. He is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and can prepare, file and prosecute domestic patent applications and advise his clients on the prosecution of foreign patent applications.
With his extensive knowledge of the life sciences, including industry and university research, and more than 15 years of experience in intellectual property law, David M. Saravitz, Ph.D., helps his clients protect and manage their intellectual property assets to best grow their businesses. He focuses his practice on the particular IP challenges facing the biotechnology/life sciences industry.
In addition to earning a J.D. from the North Carolina Central University School of Law, Dr. Saravitz’s background includes a Ph.D. in cell and molecular biology from Duke University, an M.S. from North Carolina State University and a B.S., with distinction, from The Pennsylvania State University. At law school, he served as chairperson of the Intellectual Property Law Society.
While studying at Duke, Dr. Saravitz was the recipient of both a National Institutes of Health Cell and Molecular Biology Training Grant and a Plant Molecular Biology Fellowship from the North Carolina Biotechnology Center. He currently serves on the Commercialization Advisory Panel for the Biotechnology Innovation Grant program at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association (TIPLA) – member, Board of Directors; former President (2009-2010)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AILPA) – Co-Chair, Plants and Ag Subcommittee
- North Carolina Biosciences Organization
- Commercialization Advisory Panel, Biotechnology Innovation Grant Program – North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- North Carolina Central University (J.D.)
- Duke University (Ph.D.)
- North Carolina State University (M.S.)
- The Pennsylvania State University (B.S.)
Rate : $$$