Drew Chisholm’s practice emphasizes general business litigation. His legal experience and academic background provide him with the skills to handle a wide range of business matters. Clients benefit from his energetic, innovative and effective approach in representing their interests.
Drew has extensive experience in representing project owners, contractors, and suppliers regarding enforcement of liens in private construction projects, and handling claims on performance bonds/retainage in public jobs. He has successfully litigated hundreds of these lawsuits on behalf of his clients.
A growing area in Drew’s practice is insurance coverage. He secures coverage on behalf of his clients when disputes arise with their insurers. Drew has successfully handled coverage disputes in areas such as: construction defects, intellectual property claims, employee dishonesty, work site accidents, and other business-related issues. He has recovered millions of dollars from insurers who initially denied coverage. Not only is indemnity (coverage for the damage) crucial for the client, but in addition, the insurer’s contractual obligation to pay the client’s legal fees in defending claims of alleged liabilities is an integral part of securing coverage.
Drew represents business and public housing authority clients in landlord-tenant matters. He has successfully litigated numerous contested evictions, and has developed policy and procedure manuals to assist his clients to effectively resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Recent Insurance Coverage Experience
- Secured over $2 million in insurance coverage on behalf of a general contractor client under its commercial general liability policy and its subcontractors’ policies for alleged construction defects on a high-end residence.
- Recovered $500,000 on behalf of a retail business from its insurer for the retailer’s alleged liability for trademark infringement, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Secured millions of dollars in coverage on behalf of a client from its primary and excess insurer for a work site accident allegedly caused by the client’s product.
Recent Litigation Experience:
- Obtained a judgment of approximately $1.3 million on a general contractor’s lien that was upheld on appeal (Court of Appeals of the State of Washington, Division II , 39957-1- II ) and fully paid.
- Prevailed in an arbitration on behalf of a subcontractor in a dispute involving the general contractor’s refusal to pay under a “pay if paid by the owner” clause in a construction contract.
- Obtained a judgment of over $2.5 million against solvent defendants in a business fraud case.
- Successfully defended employees/officers from trade secret and breach of fiduciary claims by the former employer seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Gonzaga School of Law, Spokane, WA
- Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude, 2000
- Achievement Scholarships 1997, 1998, 1999
- Associate Editor, Gonzaga Law Review, 1998-2000
- Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA
- Masters in Business, 1997
- Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Bachelor of Arts, Business Management
Rate : $$$