Duane Bosworth has more than 30 years of litigation experience representing television and radio broadcasters, cable companies, motion picture producers and distributors, newspapers and magazines, book authors and publishers, internet companies, and web publishers, both at the trial and appellate levels of federal and state courts. His practice encompasses all areas of content, media, and entertainment litigation, including defamation, privacy, access, prior restraint, reporter’s shield laws, copyright law, Lanham Act claims, and internet law.
- Has appeared numerous times before the Oregon Supreme Court and the Oregon Court of Appeals, and before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Regularly represents media outlets in access to records, public meetings, and judicial proceedings including in the Oregon Supreme Court; in media shield law matters; and in defending against tort claims
- Recipient of the Oregon State Bar’s award for pro bono services regarding access to public records and public access meetings.
- Has extensive anti-SLAPP litigation experience in trial courts and on appeal. Teaches annual statewide anti-SLAPP seminars.
- National clients represented, among others: NBC; Penguin Random House; Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; TripAdvisor; Playboy; CBS (“60 Minutes” and “48 Hours”); Gannett; Sony Pictures; Meredith Corporation; Clear Channel Communications; Time, Inc.; Warner Music Group; Comcast; The Associated Press, and the Weinstein Company. Northwest clients, among others: The Oregonian, (the Northwest’s largest newspaper); six television stations; Bent Image Labs; Oregon Public Broadcasting; and the Western Communications chain of Oregon and California newspapers.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Elected Member, American Bar Foundation
- Member (over 20 years), Past President – Oregon Bar Press Broadcasters Council
- Member, Multnomah Bar Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Director, Lines for Life
- Director, Open Oregon, Foundation for Government Transparency
- Past Chair, University of Oregon Law School Board of Visitors
- Past Chair, Diversity Task Force, Oregon State Bar Association
- Past President, Understanding Racism Foundation
- Past Chair, Urban League
- Past Director, Portland Art Museum
- B.A., Philosophy and Theory of Literature, Yale University, 1975
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1982
Rate : $$$$