Dustin T. Johnson focuses his practice on intellectual property transactional matters and strategic client counseling, helping clients protect their technology and industry market space. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications in a wide variety of technology areas and advises clients with respect to freedom to operate or product clearance, patent infringement, and patent validity.
Having advised companies at all stages of growth, from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, Dustin understands the role of intellectual property as a company asset and takes solution-driven approaches to help clients achieve their goals.
His experience covers a variety of technology areas, including:
- Medical processes, systems and devices – implants, prosthetics, instruments, orthopedic applications, and surgical techniques.
- Mechanical and electro-mechanical systems – drilling rigs, rig operating systems, controllers, heavy machinery, windmills, transmissions, and engines.
- Telecommunications – mobile phone applications, cellular communications, signaling, and others.
- Household and miscellaneous items – ranging from shoes to showerheads and from leaf collectors to litter boxes.
Dustin’s practice includes:
- Preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications.
- Preparation of formal opinions of counsel, including invalidity and non-infringement opinions.
- Clearance or freedom-to-use assessments.
- Subject matter landscaping to identify and advise clients with respect to open areas or white-space including identifying additional development opportunities.
- Patent office trial proceedings.
- Litigation support for a variety of intellectual property matters.
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, 2002, with honors, American University International Law Review
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1998
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Rate : $$$