Dustin B. Weeks uses his broad experience across all aspects of patent law, including litigation, prosecution and client counseling, to assist his clients in developing strategies that best serve their business objectives.
Dustin is a partner in the firm’s intellectual property practice. His work spans all areas of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, patent litigation (including Hatch-Waxman litigation) and client counseling.
He represents clients ranging from startups and solo inventors to Fortune 500 companies. Dustin works closely with his clients to learn their business objectives so that he can tailor strategies to procure, protect and enforce their intellectual property.
Dustin specializes in post-grant proceedings (e.g., inter partes reviews) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), where he has extensive experience representing both patent owners and petitioners across a wide range of technologies, including wireless networking, pharmaceuticals, MEMS devices, medical devices and electro-mechanical consumer devices.
Dustin’s experience in patent prosecution, counseling and patent litigation uniquely positions him to navigate the blended practice of post-grant proceedings. Dustin also authors the firm’s Post-Grant Watch website, dedicated to analyzing developments at the PTAB.
Representative Matters :
- Serves as lead counsel to a Fortune 200 energy company with respect to various aspects of intellectual property, including patent procurement, freedom to operate, nondisclosure agreements and licensing.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in IPRs involving patents covering leading medication to treat ADHD, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in IPRs involving patents covering leading medication to treat opioid addiction, which resulted in a victory for the client.
- Defended a Fortune 50 technology company in district court litigation involving patents related to telecommunication systems, which resulted in all claims being found invalid at the Markman stage.
- Defended a Fortune 100 banking company in multidistrict litigation involving patents related to image processing systems, which resulted in all claims found pursuant to an early summary judgment motion.
- Represented the manufacturer of a leading medication to treat opioid addiction in Hatch-Waxman litigation, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
Professional Experience :
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas H. Wilson of the Superior Court of Georgia, 2008-2009
- Engineering Co-op, Southern Company, Southern Company Services, 2004-2006
- Engineering Co-op, Plant Scherer, Georgia Power Company, 2002-2004
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2010
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S.E.E., with honors, 2007, Digital Signal Processing
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$