Dwight M. Francis is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Dallas office. Dwight has devoted his career to class actions and other complex corporate litigation and has extensive courtroom experience. Dwight has defended numerous class actions asserting violations of the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), unfair competition, false advertising, and other business torts.
He has both defended and prosecuted suits involving claims of theft of trade secrets, tortious interference with contractual and business relations, directors and officers disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and many other commercial litigation disputes in federal and state courts across the country.
Employing a unique approach to litigation matters, Dwight tailors his representation directly to his clients’ needs and goals. Early on, Dwight conducts a case assessment. During this assessment, he works with the client to define its goals and to prepare a case strategy so that those goals may be met whether through alternative dispute resolution, summary judgment or trial on the merits of the case.
This approach has been effectively used by Dwight in his role as national counsel for numerous entities. As national counsel, he manages outside counsel and serves as lead trial counsel. Dwight’s clients are in various industries, including insurance, oil and gas, health care, manufacturing, airlines, motor club, third-party administrators and others.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1992
- B.A., Augusta University, 1989
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Lead counsel in successful defense against a multibillion-dollar class action lawsuit for alleged violation of privacy laws
- Represented client against claims by plaintiffs seeking damages of over $80 million based on allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, tortious interference and business disparagement
- Represented association defendants in multidistrict litigation that also included class action cases in various states, including: Alabama, Arizona, California, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief and other extraordinary remedies, including temporary and permanent injunctions and pre-judgment writs of garnishment for numerous clients
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Business Litigation Section
- Former Director, Dallas Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Barrister, The Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, 2004-2007
- Former Co-Chair, Texas Minority Counsel Program, 2003-2004
- Former Vice President And Treasurer, J.L Turner Legal Association, 2003-2004
Rate : $$$$