Dylan Black focuses his practice on complex civil litigation in state and federal courts, with particular emphasis on class actions, state and federal securities fraud cases, professional liability matters, and insurance coverage litigation.
Dylan’s recent class action experience includes the successful defense of clients facing putative nationwide classes in cases alleging violations of consumer protection statutes such as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.
In addition, he regularly represents clients in other types of class action cases, including actions brought by shareholders, receivers, and bankruptcy trustees. Dylan’s professional liability experience includes the defense of public accounting firms, outside directors, audit committee members, and lawyers.
He currently co-chairs the Professional Liability Litigation Committee in the ABA’s Section of Litigation, and he is the co-editor of The Law of Lawyers’ Liability, a treatise on legal malpractice law in the 50 states. Dylan also co-authored the Alabama chapter of a forthcoming 50-state treatise on accounting malpractice law.
Dylan represents insureds in coverage disputes in a variety of contexts, including coverage for personal injury, professional liability, and commercial general liability claims. He recently represented an automobile manufacturer in a months-long trial in Thailand in a case involving a contingent business interruption loss.
Dylan leads Bradley’s Complex Business and Securities team. He also serves as chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and has represented clients in death penalty cases and other appointed matters under the Criminal Justice Act.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1997, Margaret G. Hyde Award; Mary Claiborne and Roy H. Ritter Prize; North Grounds Softball League, Head Commissioner
- Harvard University, B.A., 1990, cum laude
- Université de Toulouse I, Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar, 1990-1991
Clerkships : UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS, 6TH CIRCUIT, HONORABLE HARRY W. WELLFORD
Professional & Community Activities:
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Board Member
- Alabama Symphony Orchestra, Board Member
- Professional Liability Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Co-Chair
- Harvard Club of Birmingham, Immediate Past President
Rate : $$$