E. Fitzgerald Veira is a partner in the firm’s Environmental and Natural Resources practice. He currently represents local, national and international clients on a broad range of environmental and nuclear regulatory matters, transactions and in litigation with particular emphasis on matters arising under the Clean Water Act (CWA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). He has defended clients in many enforcement and private actions brought under state and federal environmental laws.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a large food processing facility in negotiating a consent order for operating a land application system without a permit.
- Representing a local government in an enforcement action brought by EPA and EPD alleging failure to report spills under CWA.
- Lead counsel to a nuclear power plant operator in obtaining surface water withdrawal permit.
- Ongoing representation of clients regarding § 404 permitting related to transmission line construction and maintenance.
- Counsel to local governments regarding Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), green infrastructure, and erosion and sediment control issues.
- Ongoing representation of clients in developing and implementing cutting edge capacity, management, operation and maintenance (CMOM) programs.
- Performed environmental due diligence in support of purchase and sale of electric generating units and pulp and paper mills.
- Ongoing representation of pulp and paper mills regarding water quality issues.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Environmental Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Member, Natural Resources and Energy Section)
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1995
- Catholic University of America, M.S., 1989
- University of Alabama, B.S., 1986
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$