With 36 years of practice, Ken Smith is one of Georgia’s most recognized and experienced multistate tax litigation attorneys. He also handles complex commercial and constitutional controversies throughout the U.S and has extensive lead experience handling appeals and administrative hearings.
On multistate tax litigation matters, Ken has been lead counsel for such diverse clients as AGL Resources, Cardinal Health, Caterpillar, Cessna Aircraft, Delta Airlines, Expedia, FedEx Ground, FleetCor Technologies, General Electric, Haverty Furniture, HealthSouth, Kroger, Lowe’s Corp., MeadWestvaco, Piedmont Green Power, QuikTrip, and Verizon.
Ken also has successfully challenged state and federal laws and regulations on constitutional and administrative grounds, defended against class actions in Georgia and Florida, and handled high-profile trademark and copyright disputes. He frequently publishes and lectures on litigation, negotiation, and tax strategies to businesses and trade organizations throughout the U.S.
- The University of Georgia (J.D. 1981; Georgia Law Review);
- University of North Carolina (B.A. 1978)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
- Expedia obtains dismissal of City of Atlanta’s claims for back taxes and penalties
- DIRECTV and component manufacturers prevail on summary judgment in patent infringement case
- ETS successfully defends against competitor’s protest of $47 million contract
- Expedia defends against litigation involving hotel occupancy tax reimbursements and fees in Georgia
- Corporate Lodging Consultants obtains summary judgment in hotel occupancy tax dispute
- Trammell Crow Residential resolves Florida putative class action involving termination fees
- East Point wins full amount of damages in property tax dispute with county
Rate : $$$$