Ebony M. Thompson has a broad range of experience in complex litigation, including contract disputes, regulatory litigation, insolvency proceedings, employment law, products liability actions, and other commercial matters.
Her experience includes litigation in state, federal, and bankruptcy court for individuals and national and international companies, including pre-trial practice, motion practice, fact and expert discovery, and witness preparation.
Ebony has also argued in numerous hearings for orders of protection on behalf of pro bono clients subjected to domestic violence, in connection with the House of Ruth.
Prior to joining Venable, Ebony served in the U.S. Marine Corps and then became a private client group associate with UBS Global Asset Management, Inc. in New York City, providing wealth management services to clients internationally.
As a private real estate investor, she developed partnerships with leading real estate financiers in Maryland and Virginia to rehabilitate dilapidated neighborhoods. She has also conducted electronic data discovery and forensic data acquisitions for extensive litigation cases while working as an account executive with Document Technologies, Inc.
- Part of a team that represents Johns Hopkins Health System Corp. in defending employment-related claims under state and local laws, including retaliation and breach of contract. Ebony has assisted in drafting motions and briefs, conducted in-depth factual and legal research and analysis for pre-trial motions and hearings, and managed discovery of electronically stored information (ESI) from document identification and retrieval through production and analysis of privilege.
- Part of a team that represented both Exelon Corp. and Pepco Holdings Inc. in their recent proposed merger, securing the approval of the Maryland Public Service Commission to bring together Exelon’s three electric and gas utilities – BGE, ComEd and PECO – and Pepco Holdings’ three electric and gas utilities – Atlantic City Electric, Delmarva Power and Pepco – to create the leading mid-Atlantic electric and gas utility.
- Part of a team that represents the liquidators of a Zurich-based financial services company that is the subject of Swiss insolvency proceedings. Ebony has also assisted the team in advising overseas counterparties to derivatives and other financial contracts in Lehman’s U.S. bankruptcy proceedings.
- J.D. magna cum laude University of Baltimore School of Law 2013
- M.B.A. E-Commerce American InterContinental University 2004
- B.A. Economics Brown University 2000
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Court Admissions : U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Rate : $$$