As a focused litigation lawyer, Edward D. Burbach represents corporations, individuals and governmental entities in matters involving local, state and federal governments – with emphasis on the state of Texas. He has special experience as a Medicaid fraud attorney, with deceptive trade practices, FTC, FOIA litigation /Public Information Act litigation and attorney general opinions.
Ed also has nearly 30 years of experience litigating significant government, energy, maritime, insurance, financial services, pharmaceutical, health care provider, retailer, corporate, multistate and class action claims.
Appointed by now-Texas Governor Greg Abbott as his original Deputy Attorney General for Litigation, Ed served as Texas’ lead litigator and directly supervised all of Attorney General Abbott’s 11 civil litigation divisions, including 250 attorneys, over 600 employees and a $35 million budget.
Ed also served as Texas’ main litigation liaison with the National Association of Attorneys General during Attorney General Abbott’s first and second terms. Ed maintained a heavy litigation docket representing the state and its leadership in high-profile litigation, such as Medicaid fraud, energy, financial services, environmental, Public Information Act, the historic Texas Tobacco Settlement, school finance, congressional redistricting and election law challenges brought by major political candidates.
Ed’s clients often face costly, multiyear, high-stakes claims. For example, in State of Texas v. Petroleum Wholesale, et al., Ed defended claims brought by the state of Texas alleging $200 million in civil penalties for allegedly misrepresenting the amount of fuel delivered at retail gasoline and diesel pumps in Texas.
He also served as lead counsel in the defense of the state Multidistrict Litigation Panel proceeding and as lead counsel in defense of various state purported class action litigation. Ed serves as the Austin Office Chair for Corporate, and he remains active with the attorney’s general offices throughout the United States.
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, (1986)
- B.B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, (1983), magna cum laude
- Finance and International Business
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, (1983), with high honors
- Texas (1987)
- Texas State Courts (1987)
- Supreme Court of Texas (1987)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Sixth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court (1996)
- Board Member, Austin Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section (2016-2018)
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Houston-Abidjan Partnership in Trade Committee
- Registered Arbitrator, Houston Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Advisory Board and Faculty Member, Petroleum Extension Service, The University of Texas at Austin
Rate : $$$