Edward A. Cavazos manages the Austin office of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman. Transactions and complex litigation are his bag; always one step ahead of the curve, he has unparalleled insight into new technologies.
Edward Cavazos is recognized by Chambers USA, World Trademark Review 1000 and Best Lawyers for Technology Law and won Lexology/ILO’s 2018 “Client Choice Award.”
Ed, a Pillsbury Intellectual Property partner, negotiates complex technology-related transactions and routinely advises on corporate and general business matters, licensing, strategic partnerships, development contracts, data rights and privacy issues.
A former general counsel at a pioneering internet company, Ed represents internet, e-commerce, software, hardware, video game and media/entertainment clients. He also litigates complex IP disputes, including patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, contract breach and internet-related claims. Ed is the Austin office’s managing partner.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Advising YETI Coolers Inc. in connection with a broad range of technology-related transactions and matters, including IT procurement, e-commerce initiatives, marketing and promotional campaigns and related agreements.
- Representing Upland Software in a wide array of technology-related matters involving IP diligence on potential strategic partners, licensing, and intellectual property enforcement and litigation.
- Defending Valve Corporation, the Seattle-based video game development and digital distribution company and operators of the Steam gaming platform, against patent infringement claims.
- Representing SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI), a provider of IT infrastructure management software, in defending against claims of patent infringement (Eastern District of Texas – Marshall).
- Represented Upland Software, (Nasdaq: UPLD) a leading provider of cloud-based Enterprise Work Management software in defending against claims of patent infringement (Eastern District of Texas – Marshall).
- Represented RetailMeNot in defending against claims of breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets (District of Delaware).
- Represented Automatic Labs, an innovator in connected car technologies and products, in defending claim of patent infringement (District of Delaware).
- Represented Coffee Serv, Inc, Beaucoup Wedding Favors, Inc., Eastern Mountain Sports, Inc., and Costume Craze LLC in defending claims of patent infringement (Eastern District of Texas – Marshall).
- Represented Everbridge, a provider of emergency notification services, against claims of patent infringement (District of Delaware).
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1993
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin, 1990
ADMISSIONS : Texas
COURTS : U.S. District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Rate : $$$$