Edward S. Kim focuses on complex business and securities litigation matters in federal and state courts, including securities class actions, shareholder derivative claims, mergers and acquisitions litigation, and partnership disputes.
Edward has extensive experience representing and advising broker-dealers and other financial institutions in disputes involving the distribution and sale of securities, and he has successfully tried and defended claims of securities fraud, misrepresentation, unauthorized trading, improper supervision and improper sales practices.
Edward also represents national accounting firms and their employees in federal and state courts and in regulatory proceedings before the SEC, PCAOB and state regulatory agencies.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully defended biotechnology company and obtained complete dismissal of shareholder derivative action asserting claims of mismanagement and corporate waste.
- Successfully defended broker dealer against securities fraud and suitability claims asserted by institutional investor arising from the purchase of Credit Linked Note Auction Rate Securities. Obtained a full defense decision with the dismissal of all claims after FINRA arbitration hearing.
- Successfully defended major accounting firm in securities class action filed in California Superior Court. Obtained the dismissal of all claims and approval of class settlement with no monetary contribution from accounting firm.
- Won motion to dismiss and obtained a complete dismissal of all claims against commercial lending institution in Federal District Court for alleged violations of federal and state truth in lending laws.
- Won motion to dismiss securities fraud claims against major accounting firm in securities class action filed in Federal District Court.
- Won numerous NASD and FINRA arbitrations and obtained the complete dismissal of all claims with prejudice for major broker dealer involving allegations of fraud, unauthorized trading, churning, and unsuitable investment recommendations.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Federal Bar Association, Orange County Chapter
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., 1997
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1993
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$$