Edward A. Razim is a tax lawyer and Chair of the Firm’s Employee Benefits practice group. Ed’s practice includes drafting and implementing employee benefit and executive compensation programs for large and small employers; addressing compliance issues regarding Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code and various equity compensation plan design matters; addressing employee benefits matters in corporate mergers and acquisitions; resolving unique plan design issues faced by controlled groups of corporations or businesses; consulting employers and plan administrators on plan design and compliance matters; and negotiating with the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation on a variety of audit and compliance matters.
Ed also has worked extensively with non-profit and tax-exempt organizations on a variety of tax issues.
Representative Experience :
- Represented publicly traded company regarding employee benefits and executive compensation matters arising in connection with the spin-off of a subsidiary.
- Represented large employer regarding Affordable Care Act compliance issues, including expansion of eligibility, plan redesign and nondiscrimination testing issues.
- Negotiation of employee benefits aspects of sale of large manufacturing company to an ESOP, including preparation of management employment agreement.
- Negotiation of the employee benefits provisions for the acquisition of a large oilfield services company, including a transition agreement and termination of existing executive compensation agreements.
- Advised clients regarding design of equity incentive arrangements, including restricted stock, phantom stock, stock units, stock options and stock appreciation rights and preparation of related documentation.
- Representation of closely held and public companies in resolving issues arising from Internal Revenue Service audits and U.S. Department of Labor investigations of employee benefit plans.
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Member, Adjunct Law Faculty, Southern Methodist University School of Law
- Taxation of Deferred Compensation (2000 – 2006)
- Employee Benefits Law (2001 – 2005)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Employee Benefits Committee
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member and Past Chair, IRS Gulf States Key District TE/GE Council
- Member SouthWest Benefits Association (Past Chair, Education Committee)
- J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 1992
- B.A., Political Science, cum laude, Miami University, 1989
- B.A., International Studies, cum laude, Miami University, 1989
Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$