Edward P. Tolley is Of Counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. He has represented several leading financial sponsors and their portfolio companies in connection with high yield financings, including bridge and other acquisition financings. He has also advised the Firm’s issuer and underwriter clients in connection with IPOs and other registered offerings of equity securities.
Ed’s experience has included the representation of:
- Leveraged Finance:
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. in connection with $2.25 billion of bridge loan financing for its acquisition of Samson Resources, followed by $2.25 billion of high yield bond financing
- KKR, TPG and GS PIA in connection with $11.25 billion of bridge and bond financings for their purchase of TXU
- The Blackstone Group in connection with the bridge/bond financings for its purchase of Summit Materials, Apria Healthcare, Polymer Group, Performance Foods, Catalent Pharma Solutions, Freescale Semiconductor, Travelport and Team Health
- First Reserve Corporation in connection with financings in respect of Foundation Coal, Chart Industries, NFR Energy (Sabine Oil & Gas), Crestwood Midstream Partners, Midstates Petroleum and TPC Group Inc.
- Thomas H. Lee Partners, Bain Capital, Providence Equity, and Edgar Bronfman, Jr. in connection with bridge and bond financing for their $2.6 billion acquisition of Warner Music Group and subsequent offerings for Warner
- Thomas H. Lee Partners, Bain Capital, and Blackstone in connection with a $500 million bridge financing and a $1 billion high yield debt offering for Houghton Mifflin Company
- Blackstone and its portfolio companies, including high yield debt offerings for American Axle Manufacturing, Inc., Centennial Communications Corp., Graham Packaging Company, The Premcor Refining Group and Port Arthur Coker Company
- Issuer’s counsel for Chart Industries, Team Health, Dresser-Rand, Warner Music, Alpha Natural Resources, Celanese, Foundation Coal, Nalco, Premcor Inc. and Willis Group in connection with their IPOs
- Underwriters’ counsel for Credit Suisse First Boston and Salomon Smith Barney in connection with the $8.6 billion IPO of Kraft Foods Inc.
- Underwriters’ counsel in connection with IPOs for Globalstar, ITXC Corp., Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, Penske Motorsports and Ladish Company
Ed joined Simpson Thacher in 1990 and became a Partner in January 1999. He received his B.A. from Dartmouth College, magna cum laude, in 1984, Phi Beta Kappa and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1990.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1990 J.D.
- Dartmouth College, 1984 B.A.
- magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions : New York 1991
Rate : $$$