Edward Alan Woods retired from the partnership in 2017. His practice focused on complex commercial litigation and entertainment litigation in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration.Mr. Woods’ practice includes representation of entrepreneurs, manufacturers, retail establishments, real estate developers and syndicators, entertainers, film production and distribution companies, lawyers and law firms.
He is admitted to practice before all California courts, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme CourtMr. Woods received his J.D. from UCLA in 1972, was a member of the UCLA Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. As an undergraduate, he attended the University of California at Berkeley and UCLA, receiving a B.A. in film from UCLA in 1968. In 1968 and 1969, he served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Libya.
- Mr. Woods’ representative matters include:
- obtaining summary judgment against the government on a False Claims Act case involving the largest beef recall in history in which the government was seeking over $300 million against his clients.
- obtaining a favorable settlement for Guess against K-Mart and others for trademark misappropriation
- successfully representing plaintiff in a legal malpractice action that settled for mid-eight figures
- defeating claims of the Federal Trade Commission and a large pharmaceutical company seeking to enjoin advertising and sale of over-the-counter products
- obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a major television producer and his wife who were sued for malicious prosecution
- obtaining a seven-figure verdict representing a nationally known designer and manufacturer of women’s handbags, belts and accessories against its importing agent
- representing the trustees of a half-billion-dollar trust as defendants in a four-week jury trial focused on whether the trust had breached its promissory note and security agreement with plaintiff (a private third-party company), in which a complete defense verdict was rendered. Plaintiff was seeking $400 million in damages
- obtaining a $60 million verdict in a partnership dissolution case involving one of the most successful and popular denim jeans companies in the country
- representing a large law firm and its name partners sued by another partner for pregnancy discrimination; after a one-month trial, the jury returned a defense verdict as to the firm and all individuals
- representing a former ambassador and member of the peerage against real estate syndicators for misappropriation and diversion of investment, recovering the entire investment and attorneys’ fees
- successfully representing the estate of Elvis Presley in establishing that the right of publicity survives an entertainer’s death
- defeating an injunction sought by a celebrated rap artist against the producer of a documentary film
- serving as counsel for trustees of Mark Hughes Family Trust (created by the founder of Herbalife) in the largest probate litigation in Los Angeles
- Mr. Woods is involved in numerous community, civic and charitable activities that include being a member of the:
- KCRW Foundation Board of Directors
- Phase One Board of Directors
- Schireson Associates Board of Advisors
- Your Golden Ticket Board of Advisors.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 1972
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1968
Rate : $$$$