Mr. Edwin H. Stern completed his temporary assignment to the New Jersey Supreme Court upon reaching mandatory retirement in June 2011. Before that, he was assigned to the Appellate Division of Superior Court, New Jersey’s intermediate appellate court, from September 1985 to September 2010 and served as the Appellate Division’s Presiding Judge for Administration from 2004 until his retirement.
During his judicial career, Mr. Stern authored more than 3,600 written decisions and more than 400 published opinions. Leveraging his judicial experience, he now renders opinions for clients on various issues of concern; advises on such matters as the advisability of taking appeals from trial court and state administrative agency decisions; reviews briefs and papers filed in state and federal courts; and conducts moot courts for attorneys before they argue matters in court.
He also conducts mediations and arbitrations and serves as a special hearing officer in attorney discipline cases. He is on the roster of arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association.
Mr. Stern presently serves as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct, which reviews disciplinary complaints against judges; the Civil Practice Committee, which recommends changes to the rules of civil and appellate practice and procedure governing the courts of the state of New Jersey; and the New Jersey Supreme Court Special Committee on Rules of Professional Responsibility.
He also serves on the Editorial Board of the New Jersey Law Journal and is a frequent lecturer for New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
On the national stage, Mr. Stern remains a member of the Council of Chief Judges of State Courts of Appeal, of which he was a member of the Executive Committee before his Judicial retirement; an active elected member of the American Law Institute; a member of the American Bar Association; and a fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Columbia Law School (J.D.)
- Rutgers University (B.A.)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Student Council President
- President of the Honor Society
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- New Jersey Sentencing and Criminal Disposition Commission
- Designee of New Jersey Supreme Court Chief Justice Stuart Rabner
- American Arbitration Association
- Roster of Neutrals
- Supreme Court Civil Practice Committee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct
- New Jersey Law Journal
- Council of Chief Judges of State Courts of Appeals
- Co-Host of Annual Conference, 2015
- New Jersey State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$