Eileen M. O’Brien is a Member of Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Lexington office and has been with the firm since 1981. She serves clients in Kentucky and other jurisdictions as part of SKO’s Family Law practice, as well as the Arbitration & Mediation, Trusts & Estates, and Tort, Trial & Insurance Services practice groups.
Focusing primarily on family law, Eileen represents clients with compassion and a determined resolve to achieve a satisfactory outcome. In 2016, after oral arguments, she obtained a favorable decision from the Kentucky Supreme Court for a client seeking appropriate child support payments in a case of first impression.
Much of Eileen’s success in obtaining the best possible result for clients stems from her experience as a mediator—not only for matters relating to family law, but also personal injury defense and civil disputes. She received her mediation training at Harvard Law School and through the Kentucky Administrative Office of the Courts.
Active in the legal community, Eileen currently serves on the Board of Bar Governors and several board subcommittees, and is a past chair of the Kentucky Bar Foundation. She is a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and has served as chair of the Kentucky Bar’s Family Law Section.
Eileen also lends her talents to several women’s causes and events, including SKO’s annual Women at Work conference. She is the lead organizer of the event each year and has served on the firm’s management and finance committees. For her substantial accomplishments over the course of her career, Eileen has been named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America®, among other distinctions.
Family Law Services: Eileen counsels individuals and families on business and asset valuation and division, child custody and support and related matters during times of transition. For couples either planning or already entered into a marriage or civil union, she assists in drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
She also helps parents, grandparents and other relatives of children in dependency establish legal custody and secure financial support. This includes difficult cases where children are neglected, abused or exposed to domestic violence.
Arbitration & Mediation: In disputes between families or companies, Eileen guides parties to a satisfactory resolution, without the expense or delay of litigation.
Trusts & Estates: Eileen’s work in this practice group compliments her family law practice and ranges from the preparation and implementation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements to use of planning to safeguard family businesses or provide care for family members.
Tort, Trial & Insurance Services: For individuals and corporate clients faced with litigation involving torts and insurance matters, Eileen provides representation that spans from initial investigation to trial and mediation or settlement, when possible.
- Harvard Law School 2004, Certificate in Mediation
- University of Kentucky College of Law 1981, J.D.
- Transylvania University 1977, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Foundation, president, 2012-2013
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, president, 2012-2013
- Kentucky Bench & Bar editorial board
- Kentucky Lawyers Assistance Program, volunteer counselor, 1998-present
- Chrysalis House, Inc., Board Member since 1987, immediate past president
- Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning, board member since 2005, immediate past president
- National Association of Women Business Owners, past president
- SKO [email protected] Annual Conference, founder, 1999 -2018
- Professional Woman’s Forum
- Wilderness Road Girl Scout Council, President, 2010-present
Rate : $$$$