Elena Kaplan has more than 18 years of experience advising employers on how to implement successful benefit programs to attract and retain talent, while complying with a myriad of applicable laws, including ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code.
She provides advice on all manner of benefits, including health and welfare benefits, qualified retirement plans, executive compensation, and severance. Elena also assists employers with plan design, implementation, ongoing compliance, and plan termination.
A great deal of Elena’s practice over the past several years has involved assisting employers with Affordable Care Act compliance, including updating plans to comply with coverage mandates and providing guidance about the “play or pay” rules for employers.
She also has extensive experience advising covered entities about the HIPAA Privacy rules. In addition, Elena devotes a portion of her practice to the formation and ongoing compliance of nonprofit entities, including filing for and maintaining tax-exempt status.
Elena currently serves on the board of governors of the State Bar of Georgia, is secretary of the Jones Day Foundation, and serves as an assistant vice chair of the Employee Benefits Welfare Plans Subcommittee of the ABA Tax Section. She is a past president of the Young Lawyers Division of the State Bar of Georgia.
- University of Florida (LL.M. in Tax 2002);
- American University (J.D. summa cum laude 1998);
- University of Virginia (B.A. in Drama [Costume Design] 1993)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
- Flowers Foods to acquire Canyon Bakehouse for $205 million
- Newell Brands to sell Pure Fishing to Sycamore Partners for $1.3 billion
- Great Elm Capital Group acquires Valley Healthcare Group and Northwest Medical for $63.6 million
- PGT Innovations acquires Western Window Systems for $360 million
- Newell Brands sells Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc. for $395 million
- Newell Brands sells The Waddington Group to Novolex for approximately $2.3 billion
- Southern Company sells Pivotal Home Solutions to American Water Works Company, Inc. for $363.7 million
- Southern Company to sell certain Florida assets to NextEra Energy for $6.5 billion
- ABM acquires GCA Services Group for $1.25 billion
- Large research university ensures health benefits for academic workforce comply with ACA.
Rate : $$$$