Elena D. Marcuss represents management in employment and traditional labor matters. She defends employers in federal and state courts against individual and collective claims of workplace discrimination and rights violations, such as statutory claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Law, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), Executive Order 11246 and the National Labor Relations Act, as well as tort claims, such as wrongful discharge and defamation, and breach of contract claims.
She has experience assisting clients in such traditional labor matters as unfair labor practice charges and trials, appeals to the National Labor Relations Board and federal Circuit Courts, and campaigns and elections.
She also counsels employers regarding employment agreements, policies and handbooks, employee discipline and terminations, and compliance with state and federal employment laws.
- Representation of banking institutions and energy companies in various employment discrimination claims, including claims of retaliation, harassment, and disability, race, sex, age, national origin and religious discrimination.
- Obtained dismissal of state law wrongful discharge claim as preempted by the at-pleasure provision of the National Bank Act, 12 U.S.C. § 24(Fifth), and affirmance by the Fourth Circuit in a case of first impression in that court.
- Obtained summary judgment and Fourth Circuit affirmance in collective misclassification case brought by the DOL against cable installation company.
- Representation of banking institution in administrative actions with the OFCCP and OSHA under Executive Order 11246 and SOX.
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1998
- Duke University, BA, Economics, 1995
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Board Member and Secretary, Health Care for the Homeless
- Member, Section of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Section Labor and Employment Law, Maryland State Bar Association
Rate : $$$