Eli Freedberg is an experienced lawyer who has worked on cases on behalf of major corporations, mid-sized and small businesses, and individuals. Eli works to create workplace solutions for his clients across the hospitality (including hotels, restaurants, resorts, spas, country clubs, golf clubs, and fitness clubs), health care, retail, and financial industries.
He defends employers in litigation at both the federal and state levels, including matters related to the FLSA, ADA, Title VII, FMLA, and various state and local laws. Eli is an experienced litigator who has taken cases to arbitration and prevailed on motions for summary judgment.
He also advises clients regarding the protection of trade secrets and the misappropriation of confidential or proprietary information, both defending employers and pursuing enforcement against former employees.
- Prevailed on motion for summary judgment against an international food services and facilities management company and successfully dismissed Title VII and ADA claims
- Prevailed on summary judgment against a national transportation company and successfully dismissed equal pay, race and gender discrimination claims
- Successfully defended dozens of restaurant groups in class actions alleging improper tip credit and tip pooling arrangements
- Represented large health care providers in discrimination claims brought by employees
- Drafted comments on behalf of trade organizations to governmental agencies in response to proposed changes to wage and hour law
- Successfully defended employers in Department of Labor investigations concerning compliance with overtime and regular rate of pay calculations and child labor issues
- Successfully defended a former employee and new employer for claims of destruction of evidence and misappropriation of company trade secrets
Eli is a popular speaker and frequent contributor to publications regarding topics related to tip credit/tip pools/service charge compliance, wage and hour compliance, prevention of harassment and discrimination, and effective employment policies.
- J.D., Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2002
- B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
Rate : $$$