Eliot D. Raffkind represents investment managers, including advisors to domestic and offshore hedge funds and other private investment funds.
He provides advice in connection with fund formations and portfolio investing activities.Eliot assists clients with navigating changing legal and regulatory frameworks.
He also assists in formulating innovative structures to accommodate evolving investment strategies and the impact of changing market terms.Eliot’s clients value his strong technical knowledge and his ability to factor in business realities when providing legal advice. He is a frequent speaker before investment fund trade groups on issues affecting hedge funds and other private equity funds.
- Advises investment managers regarding fund formations and portfolio investing activities.
- Clients include domestic and offshore hedge funds
- Advised an investment advisor with $10 billion in capital under management in a transition to the next generation of leadership. The matter was critical to the continuity of the organization and its ability to maintain investors during and after the transition. Helped to navigate regulatory and contractual requirements and provided common-sense solutions to achieve the transition. Worked with the founder, new leadership and respective counsel and crafted a strategy to effect transition without the need to receive client consent.
- Negotiated the terms of a $250 million strategic investment and advised the client on market terms and risks of the investment in relation to a Strategic Relationship Agreement with a state government financial institution.
- Advised on fund terms and structure in the creation of a fund focused on credit-oriented securities of companies in energy and energy-related industries. The fund closed with $165 million in commitments.
- Counseled a private investment firm in the formation of a new fund and related managed accounts, securing more than $1.34 billion of capital commitments, exceeding the fundraising objective. The transaction involved a complex structure necessitated by different types of investors.
- Maples Investment Forum, Cayman Islands 2017, Panelist for Discussion of Hedge Funds: A Shifting Landscape.
- Member, Regional Board, Anti-Defamation League.
- Member, board of directors, Capital for Kids.
- Member, board of directors, Jonathan’s Place.
- Chambers USA, Hedge Funds, 2010 to 2016.
- Chambers Global, Hedge Funds, 2012 to 2015.
- The Legal 500 US, Investment Fund Formation and Management: Alternative/Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds, 2016 to 2018.
- Who’s Who Legal, Leading Private Fund Lawyer, 2011, 2014, 2016.
- Expert Guides, Leading Investment Funds Lawyer.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1986
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin, with high honors, 1983
Rate : $$$$