Elizabeth S. Balfour is a litigator and healthcare attorney and works out of the firm’s Del Mar Heights (Northern San Diego) office. Ms. Balfour represents clients in investigations initiated by the Office of the Inspector General, the Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services, the Fair Political Practices Commission, and other federal and state regulatory agencies.
Ms. Balfour advises hospitals and medical groups in relation to HIPAA, MACRA, and mandates arising out of the Affordable Care Act. She advises management companies in relation to disputes involving the provision of property and healthcare practice management services. Ms. Balfour serves as outside General Counsel for a hospital in southern California.
Ms. Balfour handles commercial and securities litigation, including cases involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, theft of trade secrets, and enforcement of buy-sell agreements. Ms. Balfour represents franchisors in franchise litigation and negotiations. Ms. Balfour also assists clients with document retention, insurance coverage, and corporate governance and public agency governance matters including conflicts of interest.
- J.D., Harvard University, 1999, cum laude
- B.A., Yale University, 1996, magna cum laude
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Represented a medical group in an investigation initiated by the Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Justice.
- Represented software company in federal securities class action against homestore.com and AOL. Motion to dismiss on behalf of client was granted and resulted in published opinion regarding “secondary liability” under Section 10(b) of the Securities and Exchange Act.
- Advised a manufacturer of office technology products in conjunction with products liability claims and reporting to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Represented a for-profit education company and its principal in an investigation of the company’s compliance with immigration and tax laws.
- Represented a company whose controller was convicted of embezzling over $1.5 million in both civil and criminal proceedings.
- Board of Directors, Center for Employment Opportunities
- Vice President and Secretary, Board of Directors of the San Diego County Bar Association (2008 – 2010)
- Board Member, Legal Aid Society of San Diego (2008 – 2010)
- Co-Chair, Children at Risk Committee of the San Diego County Bar Association (2004 – 2006)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Lawyers Club of San Diego
Rate : $$$