Elizabeth B. Burnett is a highly experienced trial lawyer. Her successful representation of high profile clients has been profiled in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and other national media, and she has appeared in courts throughout the country.
She has represented corporate directors in corporate governance matters, public companies in trade secret litigation, and large financial institutions in disputes involving tax-exempt financings. Betsy is an experienced trial lawyer with deep knowledge of business fraud, corporate governance, fiduciary duty and high technology/trade secret matters.
She served for 10 years as the firm-wide Chair of Mintz’s Litigation Department and in other firm management roles. Betsy writes and lectures frequently on corporate governance issues and is the author of a chapter in The World’s Foremost Authorities on Corporate Government & Compliance.
Betsy and her trial team achieved a complete victory for Shari Redstone in the “vicious corporate battle“ [The New York Times: “Fight for Viacom Is Said to End with the Redstones in Control”] which challenged certain actions concerning the corporate governance of Viacom, Inc., including the proper composition of the Viacom Board.
Following months of highly contentious litigation in Delaware and Massachusetts, a global settlement was achieved that dismissed the lawsuits against Ms. Redstone and her father Sumner Redstone and affirmed the reconstitution of the Viacom board.
Betsy advises corporate directors with respect to corporate governance issues and fiduciary duties. She also represents life sciences and medical device corporations involved in trade secret litigation.
Her jury trial experience is diverse, and she has experience in high-profile litigation that requires strategic advice that integrates issues relating to the media, advocacy groups, and government relations.
Betsy also has a special expertise in disputes involving tax exempt financings and has represented financial institutions involved in these disputes around the country. Her client matters have been profiled in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Forbes, Newsweek, and on CNBC, and she has appeared in courts throughout the country.
- University of Michigan (JD)
- Brown University (BA)
- On behalf of Volcano Corporation, defeated 27 trade secret misappropriation claims relating to medical technology, following a two-week trial and related hearings: LightLab Imaging, Inc. v. Axsun Technologies, Inc. and Volcano Corporation (Mass. Business Law Session Court).
- On behalf of Shari Redstone and Robert Steele, obtained dismissal of all breach of fiduciary duty claims against them, in their capacities as directors of Midway Games: In re: Midway Games, Inc. (U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Delaware).
- On behalf of William I. Koch defeated a multi-million “palimony” type claim by former girlfriend, following a jury trial.
- On behalf of Volcano Corporation, defeated $220 million lost profits damages claim, after trial: LightLab Imaging, Inc. v. Axsun Technologies, Inc. and Volcano Corporation (Mass. Business Law Session Court).
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$