Elizabeth Guffy has over 30 years of experience in all areas of bankruptcy and finance law. Elizabeth regularly counsels corporate clients in bankruptcy exposure and risk, and has represented secured and unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 cases. A significant part of her practice is energy-related.
She has represented foreign and domestic energy companies, both as creditors and as debtors. She has presided over the liquidation of oil and gas companies, advised power companies in credit exposure on failure of counterparties, analyzed gas and power trading transactions under master agreements, and represented foreign energy clients in insolvency matters.
Elizabeth also regularly represents clients in bankruptcy-related litigation and mediation, including both defending and prosecuting claim objections and avoidance actions, in addition to filing and prosecuting involuntary bankruptcy petitions.
She also represents clients in commercial litigation matters in bankruptcy court as well as handling appeals in numerous courts, from bankruptcy court to district and circuit courts. Elizabeth also frequently serves as an appointed trustee in chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to numerous purchasers of assets from chapter 11 estates, including both the negotiation of the proposed sale terms and enforcement of rights arising from a successful acquisition
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors Committee in University General Health Systems, et al., a Houston-based private hospital and its affiliates
- Bankruptcy counsel to White Oak Resources VI, LLC in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Milagro Oil & Gas, Inc. through a prepackaged chapter 11 filing
- Counsel to Official Committee of Equity Securities Holders for Luca International Group, LLC, et al., an oil and gas company and its affiliates involved in alleged securities laws violations
- Counsel to general contractor for ongoing construction of critical offshore pipeline in chapter 11 case filed by ATP Oil & Gas Corporation
- Special counsel to American Business Financial Services, a residential mortgage securitization company, in connection with the sale of its mortgage servicing platform
- J.D., with honors, University of Houston Law Center, 1987
- B.A., Biology, Rice University, 1980
Admissions : Texas, 1987
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Rate : $$$