Elizabeth Leigh McLachlan represents the Delaware Secretary of State in administering the State of Delaware’s Voluntary Disclosure Agreement Program, which was created in 2012 as an efficient and collaborative process to bring holders of unclaimed property into full compliance with the Delaware Abandoned Property Law for all past calendar years.
Elizabeth also handles a broad range of insurance issues including those related to the secondary market for life insurance, stranger-originated life insurance (STOLI), premium financing, and viatical settlements.
Elizabeth advises and represents national life insurers in actions seeking to have alleged STOLI policies declared void ab initio. She represents national insurance and annuity companies in disputes arising out of the transfer of structured settlement payment rights in jurisdictions throughout the United States.
- Administration of the State of Delaware’s Voluntary Disclosure Agreement Program, including validating enrollees’ review of unclaimed property liabilities to come into compliance with unclaimed property laws.
- Defended insurer client and obtained a directed verdict for client regarding a payee’s purported transfer of structured settlement rights; successfully defended client in post-trial motions and multiple appeals.
- Represented and defended insurer clients in federal and state courts in cases involving insurance policies that are alleged to have been fraudulently procured.
- Represented insurance clients enforcing laws governing the transfer of structured settlement payments.
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review
- Bryn Mawr College, B.A., magna cum laude, with departmental honors
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$