Elizabeth McNellie serves as counsel for foreign and domestic manufacturers and distributors that are subject to motor vehicle franchise statutes that regulate the manufacturers’ and distributors’ relationships with their dealers. She has extensive experience with the relevant statutes and case law and the motor vehicle industry.
Beth is actively involved in client counseling aimed at preventing litigation, although she is often called upon to take matters to court when necessary. She uses her knowledge of the industry to approach problems with a practical, business-driven mindset.
Beth also serves as the Columbus office’s litigation coordinator, with management responsibility for the development of young lawyers and department productivity.
- Counsels clients on proposed transfer of dealership assets, exercises of rights of first refusal and relocations, and defends client actions.
- Successfully terminated dealerships engaged in incentive and warranty fraud.
- Drafted satellite service location agreements and dealer agreement addenda.
- Successfully tried add point challenge of a cross-border appointment and unilateral change of primary market area. Used industry experience to make effective statutory and constitutional arguments.
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law in multiple cases regarding proposed transfers during and following termination, including affirmation by the 6th Circuit.
- Counsels clients with regard to changes in dealer agreements, post-termination benefits, allocation issues and warranty reimbursements.
- Supervises a team of experienced staff attorneys and paralegals in warranty litigation in multiple jurisdictions; the team handles hundreds of cases per year and oversees a large contingent of local counsel.
Memberships : National Association of Motor Vehicle Boards and Commissions
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law, 1989
- B.Phil., Miami University, 1986, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Ohio, 1990
Rate : $$$