Known for Elizabeth M. Shaffer responsiveness to clients and her ability to resolve cases early with her writing skills, Libby focuses her practice on defending clients against allegations relating to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Regulation E and related state consumer protection laws.
She works with some of the nation’s largest debt buyers, debt collectors and collection counsel throughout the country defending and resolving class actions in federal and state consumer protection matters. She has also resolved hundreds of disputes on behalf of prepaid debit card issuers and servicers.
Additionally, she handles insurance coverage and insurance extra-contractual litigation. Libby recently prevailed on behalf of an insurer in a complex, multi-million dollar property loss case relating to alleged defective construction of a retail shopping center.
No matter who the client, she takes the time to understand each business. She works closely with a client’s general counsel to put him or her in the best light in front of the client’s executive team.
The partnership with a company’s general counsel allows Libby to advise as to the business implications that may result from chosen legal strategies. Her ingratiating personality also enables her to work effectively with opposing counsel to achieve the optimum result for her clients.
Libby has spoken at the Ohio State Bar Association’s Consumer Law Institute CLE program on “Pitfalls in Collection Letters Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act.”
She was also published in the American Bar Association’s The Practical Litigator magazine for her article on effective post-trial motion practice. She is also known for her work with the American Cancer Society and the WAVE Foundation at the Newport Aquarium.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D., 2003)
- Centre College (B.A., 2000)
Bar Admissions : Ohio, Kentucky
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- American Cancer Society,
- Advisory Board of Directors, Greater Cincinnati chair
- Road to Recovery – East Side coordinator
- WAVE Foundation, Board of Directors chair
- Ohio Women’s Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Leadership Institute trustee
- Wills for Heroes, volunteer (2004 – 2008)
- Sycamore Township, Board of Zoning Appeals (2006 – 2007)
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$