Ellen S. Robbins is a trial lawyer with extensive experience litigating disputes in both state and federal court on behalf of public and private companies all over the world. She focuses her practice on a wide variety of complex commercial disputes.
Ellen’s work includes commercial matters such as breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, trade secrets, alter ego, misappropriation, securities law, product liability, class actions, environmental, insurance coverage and insolvency. Following a federal court bench trial involving issues of alter ego and fraudulent transfer, Ellen secured a $40 million judgment for a Fortune 500 company that was affirmed on appeal.
She also successfully obtained a preliminary injunction in a matter involving unfair competition and misappropriation, and was awarded summary judgment in a substantial securities fraud case representing a leading financial institution.
Ellen spent close to a decade handling a multi-district environmental insurance coverage litigation involving an automobile manufacturer and numerous Superfund sites. Ellen also incorporates alternative dispute resolution into her practice; she has first-chaired nearly two dozen arbitrations and mediations, including AAA, NASD, and NYSE arbitrations.
Ellen’s experience also encompasses intellectual property, patent litigation, and handling several matters before the International Trade Commission. Ellen served as trial counsel in five district court and ITC proceedings in the Microsoft/Motorola smart phone patent litigation, including a landmark bench trial setting a RAND royalty for standard essentials patents and obtaining a jury verdict for Microsoft in the district court proceedings. Ellen is currently serving as Co-Chair of the ABA Committee on Trade Secrets and frequently speaks on issues involving trade secrets and intellectual property.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1991, magna cum laude
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1988, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : California; Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional Experience :
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- DePaul University, Former Adjunct Professor of Law
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Member, Board of Trustees
- Positive Coaching Alliance Los Angeles, Chair of the Board
- Walk With Sally, Advisory Board and Mentor
- Beach Cities Task Force on Student Social-Emotional Health, Substance Abuse, and Stress Management, Member
- Sandpipers, Member
- USC IP Law Institute, Executive Committee Member, Patent Committee Co-Chair
- ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Trade Secrets Committee, Co-Chair
Rate : $$$